The IHS Library has compiled a number of resources for you. Check back often for updates and new handy tools to help you and your students.
Accessing the Library Calendar
You can see the Library Calendar from the Independence website.
- Click on the “Library” under Academics
- Click on "Library Calendar" on the left menu
- Hover your mouse over specific entries for more information
Reserving the Library Computer Labs
Reserve the labs at the Library Calendar page. Click on the reservation appointment link and choose from the available lab spots.
Reserving the Library
Reserve the library and/or the computer labs by either emailing, phone call, or in person. If you are working on a project or research item, please share that information with me! I can help you find resources you didn't know we had, or I can search for new resources for when you do the project next year!
The evidence is clear…students achieve better (and test scores are up) for those schools where teachers collaborate with the teacher-librarian and information literacy skills are being infused. Take advantage of the resources, help, and expertise I can provide. Together we can make a lesson plan even stronger!
- Share with me your lesson plan, project assignment, or ideas.
- Allow me to share with you what resources I have to enrich your lesson.
- Collaborate with me so that we can work as a team to not only teach students the content standards you need to teach, but also the information literacy skills they can apply to that learning.
- You will see improved learning and outcomes, and these skills will transfer over to other classes and future assignments.
- Instruction on where to find and how to use the Databases.
- Instruction on where to find and how to use our e-books.
- Instruction on how to use the online card catalog, OPAC (on-line patron access catalog).
- Lessons and worksheets for Information Literacy skills, such as…
- Developing and narrowing a topic
- Selecting the right sources
- Types of reference books
- Locating information—including Internet search engines
- Evaluating web sites for validity
- Note-taking and source cards
- Works citations
- Copyright information
- Library orientation
- Pulling books and finding computer resources (Internet, Databases, e-books) for research or projects
- Bookmarking web sites for your project on our eResources website.
- Developing handouts to go along with the instruction I give
- Collaborating with you to make a lesson plan
- Working with you to add needed resources (i.e., books on certain topics) to the library collection
Online access to Salem Press reference books. See Librarian for user/pass information.