INDEPENDENCE HIGH SCHOOL
SENIOR GRADUATION INFORMATION
The graduation ceremony is a privilege not a right. There are certain rules you must abide by before you are allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.
- DEBTS: ALL DEBTS MUST BE CLEARED before a student receives their graduation tickets and diploma.
- TICKETS: 8 tickets per graduate will be given out at rehearsal on May 30th, 2019. ALL DEBTS MUST BE CLEARED PRIOR TO RECEIVING TICKETS
- GRADUATION REHEARSAL: All graduating seniors must attend graduation rehearsal at 7:15 a.m. on May 30th, 2019 or you will not be allowed to participate in graduation that night. Your seat will be pulled if you do not attend the rehearsal. Report to the main gym at 7:15 a.m. that morning. We suggest caps and sunscreen—it will be hot. We will provide bottled water.
- GRADUATION: Report to the gym by 5:30 p.m. Once you enter the gym, you will not be permitted to leave. Please leave all purses, phones, personal items, etc. with family or friends. Caps and gowns are to be worn with the tassel on the right side. Wear your graduation clothing and bring gowns with you. Each graduate will be searched by security.
- The Stadium opens at 5:00 p.m. Those arriving first will have their choice of seats. There will be three entrances for family and friends. They may use the entrance from the student parking lot, the gate from the practice field by the concession stand, or the fire lane gate from the practice fields. Graduates exit the gym at 6:15 p.m. Processional begins at 6:20 p.m. The ceremony will last approximately an hour and a half.
- PARKING: Family and friends may park in the student parking lot next to the gym or the practice play fields off of McCutcheon. Handicapped—there are handicapped parking spaces provided in the student parking lot only.
- HANDICAPPED SEATING: Reserved seating available. Each handicapped individual may have one attendant seated with them. Those requesting handicapped seating must call Mrs. Banducci at 834-8001 to reserve a handicapped seat by 5/24. The name of the handicapped individual will be placed on a list and they need to enter through the gate on the visitor side of the stadium.
- Graduates going to Grad Nite MAY 23rd : We suggest you get a ride to the school; however, you may park overnight in the student parking lot at your own risk.
- Family and Friends of Graduates: Parking will be at a premium. It is suggested that your family and friends arrive early. Bottled water will be available for sale.
- CAPS AND GOWNS: You must have a cap and gown in order to participate in the graduation ceremony – NO EXCEPTIONS. ONLY those tassels, stoles, etc. approved by the administration may be worn at graduation.
- GYM AT GRADUATION: No one but graduates and staff will be allowed inside the gym. Make this clear to all relatives and friends. Graduates may not leave the gym after they have checked in with security.
- DRESS: Boys—trousers, shirts, dress shoes or boots—no jeans. Girls—Dresses, pantsuits, dress shoes or boots—no jeans. This is not a casual affair, thus, wear appropriate attire or you will be asked to not participate. Caps and gowns must be worn with tassel to the right side of the cap. Again, ONLY those tassels, stoles, etc. approved by the administration may be worn at graduation.
- PHOTOS: Steven Studios will capture each graduate receiving his or her diploma. A list of graduates will be given to the photographer and he will contact you by mail after graduation with purchase information. We ask that family and friends stay in their seats throughout the ceremony. Personal photo opportunities will be available after the ceremony on the field.
- GUESTS WITH AIR HORNS: Air horns are NOT permitted. Campus security and police will enforce this restriction and guests will be asked to leave. Please advise your guests.
- DO NOT BRING: Umbrellas, ice chests, and balloons are not permitted in the stadium. Please have parents leave these items in their car.
- RECESSIONAL: None. Family and friends are allowed onto the field to celebrate with the graduates immediately after the conclusion of the ceremony.
- DIPLOMAS: Students must pick up their diploma the following day (Friday) between 7:30-12:30 in the front office. Students must show ID to pick up diploma and only the student can pick it up. Parents may NOT pick up the diploma.